Skip to content Skip to navigation

Postdoctoral fellowships in substance use disorders treatment and services research at UCSF

News Date: Thursday, January 13, 2022 - 12:30

Postdoctoral Traineeship in Substance Use Disorders Treatment and Services


Research Training Program


University of California, San Francisco


The University of California, San Francisco is accepting applications to its NIDA-funded two-year postdoctoral research training program. Our program is one of the few that trains scientists in treatment and services research. Scholars work with a preceptor to design and implement studies on treatment of substance use disorders (SUD), including nicotine, cannabis, alcohol, opioids, and other substances. Scholars also select a specific area of focus for independent research. Current research interests of faculty include trials of efficacy and effectiveness of psychosocial and pharmacologic SUD treatment, including:


  1. Substance use disorders including cannabis, tobacco, alcohol, and opioids


  2. Innovative methodology, including internet-based studies


  3. Treatment of complex patients in health care settings


  4. Diagnostic techniques and research on treatment tailored for HIV-positive substance users and those with psychiatric and medical disorders


  5. Research on provision of health services to substance-using populations


  6. Instrument development in substance use treatment


A variety of university-affiliated and community substance use treatment programs are available as research sites. These include inpatient- and outpatient-setting programs that treat dependence on stimulants, cannabis, nicotine, alcohol, and opiates. Our training program encourages close research involvement with a preceptor, and involvement in selected classes, seminars, and grant preparation. 


More information can be found at: and


To Apply: Submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement of research interests, representative work and 2 letters of reference to: Applicants must have completed their doctoral degree and be a U.S. citizen or have Lawful Permanent Residency (green card) status at the time of appointment. Letters of reference should be sent directly from the recommenders to Ms. Smith.


Follow Us

Facebook IconTwitter Icon